Quality not quantity. We only operate one fully guided base camp per hunting season. Only six hunters are booked per season!! This provides our clients with a better over all experience and better hunting opportunities. Horses are ridden into the base camp (except for archery hunters) from trailhead. Once in popular elk terrain, hunting is done on foot. You should be in good physical condition and prepared to hike 4 to 5 hours per day. All supplies and gear are packed into our base camp with pack animals. Colorado elk hunting trip includes riding and pack animals, experienced guides (one guide per two hunters), support crew, cook, wrangler, hearty meals, a comfortable base camp and spike camps.
The six hunters in camp are split up into three groups of two; a guide accompanies each group of two. Some of the hunters will hunt to the South and another group will hunt to the West of Base Camp. We also have two different spike camps; one is located to the west and the other is to the south. We really have a lot of terrain to cover.
Some advice when looking for an outfitter …when booking a Colorado elk hunt always investigate if the Colorado Outfitter has more than one guided camp or more than six hunters in camp. We strongly feel the quality of control is greatly diminished when trying to guide more than six hunters or operating more than one camp. Murphy’s Law starts taking effect and more than likely a hunter is not going to get the level of service they paid for! We pledged to ourselves that one camp with only six hunters provides the best Colorado guided elk hunt possible! We are a small local homegrown guide service that caters to an exclusive group of six hunters in one camp!
- This is an authentic back county Colorado Elk Hunt. Federal Law prohibits motorized vehicles in this Colorado elk hunting roadless area composed of 150,000 rugged acres.
- All supplies and gear must be packed into the Colorado elk hunting base and spike camps by horse stock. This is not a lodge style hunt where there is electricity and hot showers. Base camp is set up to be comfortable and warm. Spike camps are more of a primitive style being located further out into the Colorado Elk hunting backcountry.
- It is a unique experience for the hunter who is prepared to be in the very best physical condition to tackle these mountains to hunt elk at elevations of 10,500 feet.
- Riding horses are available for support if and when necessary. Otherwise, all hunting is done on foot. Health and weight restrictions apply for this type of hunt.
- We believe in quality and not quantity. We do not have multiple camps in order to preserve our Colorado elk hunting territory. We concentrate our efforts exclusively to guided hunters where one guide is provided for two hunters. The number of hunters in camp is strictly limited to SIX.
- Our Colorado Elk Hunting Area, unit 74 (near Durango, Colorado in Southwest Colorado), has one of the healthiest elk herds in Colorado. The resident elk herd continues to grow because other elk from outlying regions migrate here due to the excellent feeding opportunities, spring calving grounds and habitat cover.
- Spike camps are used to get further out into the elk hunting territory.
- We do not offer any guarantees that you will harvest an elk. We will give you 100% effort to locate an elk.
- There is long established history of hunting tradition in this outfitting and guiding service. We have five generations of hunting and ranching history in Southwest Colorado.
- Plenty of references and testimonials from past hunters can be provided. To obtain these references, you must contact us.
- E-mail us to check space availability for each of our Colorado Elk Hunts.
- Sorry, we do not provide glossy brochures in order to keep the cost of our hunts down.
- Please call us!! We encourage phone calls so that you can get a very good feel of what kind of Colorado hunt this is. We can cover a lot of details in fifteen minutes.
McKee High Country Outfitters, LLC is a Colorado outfitter providing quality elk hunts. Our permitted hunting area is located in a roadless area
on 150,000 public acres in the San Juan National Forest in Southwest Colorado.
McKee High Country Outfitters, LLC operates through an authorized priority permit in the San Juan National Forest
and is a registered licensed outfitter in the State of Colorado with license number 2573
McKee High Country Outfitters, LLC is an equal opportunity employer and provider.